Sunday, December 07, 2008

System administration sucks

This weekend I moved more websites away from my old dedicated server. The site of my girlfriend moved from mediawiki to a blogger.com account. Our family website is now a planet running on the new virtual server.

And today I moved http://krass.com/ also to the virtual server. This turned out to be a major hassle, because the mediawiki version was pretty old and the mysql server changed from 4.1 to 5.0. As usual with these things I run into charset troubles. After playing for ages with various combinations of iconv and mysqldump I gave up and put a 'SET names latin1' after the connect in the mediawiki code. This is obviously not a good solution, but I can't be bothered at the moment.

I changed the skin to keep most of the mediawiki layout to make it a bit easier with upgrades and userfriendlier for people who already know wikipedia. I will play around with it though to make it look better.

Someone from Wikia contacted me last week again and wanted to know if I wo uld be interrested in moving krass.com to Wikia. I am not at the moment, but if it turns out to be too much work in the future I might take them up on the offer.

I also have to see how the virtual server can take the load, it seems to be a bit underpowered.

No comments:

Post a comment