- 290 "a" sides
- 278 "b" sides (sometimes the tapes broke after the first side)
- 12 tapes which unusable
- 41 tapes which turned out to be copies of CDs which are available to buy
- 5 tapes were copies of stuff I have also on CDs which are not available to buy
- 8 tapes had unreadable labels
- 249 GB in 16 bit 48khz WAVE files
- the whole list
I used my little python tapetransfer script, which I wrote for this purpose. It basically waits until there is music and then records until there is a longer break, which is perfect for DJ mixes and rubbish for normal music CDs. I recorded everything with the same level, which means that some tapes are really quite now, but the alternative would have been to play every tape twice. If it turns out that some tapes are too quite I will record them again in 32bit and normalize. I probably write another script to find out the level of each wav file.
In the end it didn't take me as long as I expected, I usually managed to do one tape before work and maybe three in the evening and a bit more on the weekend.
All that is left now is converting them to flac and mp3. The files have to be tagged and named more consistent. Another idea is to also scan pictures of all the tapes and add this to the music files.
And listening to all of them again, but I already found some real gems.